Old August 8th 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N97MT

Default Near encounter with airliner detected on PowerFlarm

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 9:11:46 PM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:
I'm thinking one message here is that we all need ADS-B out so that we are front and center visible in every cockpit going forward.

I do not agree. Mandating transponder equipment (yes ADS-B Out REQUIRES a transponder in addition to a WAAS GPS source) for our 1-26 flying permanently 50 miles away from the nearest Class C airport, within Class G and E, below 5,000 feet, while the airliners climb 10,000 feet above us, is a waste of money. What ever happened to YOU looking out of your canopy?

I find it great that you can afford the extra equipment to enhance your own situational awareness so you do not collide with the rich guys. And yes, if I were soaring 10 miles away from the Class C boundary I would definitely be talking to Approach, regardless of what equipment I had. But I do not agree to the $5,000 price tag for an Avionics shop to upgrade my $8,000 glider for questionable additional value in my usual situation. Not every circumstance will match yours.