Old July 3rd 16, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default flight sotware for iphone?

On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 7:49:21 AM UTC-7, Craig Reinholt wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 7:22:14 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 5:08:26 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
There are 3 good reasons for choosing Oudie2:

1) Sunlight readable display
2) Sunlight readable display
3) Sunlight readable display

There are 3 good reasons not to choose Oudie2:

1) Only runs SYM software
2) Only runs SYM software
3) Only runs SYM software

Oudie 2 will run any freestanding flight software. You just need to properly direct the startup sequence to it. Discuss with your Oudie 2 dealer.
On my Oudie 2 I started with LK8000 and quickly dropped that for SYM and never looked back.
Craig

It will not, for example, run iGlide. Or Winpilot anymore, if you want to use it with an Air vario. It will run SYM, LK8000, or XCSoar - but that is not from "any".

SYM is quite capable, unfortunately the teletype UI from about 1980 does not do it for me. It could be worse I suppose - running say a Fortran card deck for UI. Many people like it but I do not.

I have an Avier (same hardware as Oudie2) and have run SYM and XCSoar on it.. Holding them side by side with an iPhone 6 plus, there isn't much difference in sunlight readability. The Avier is a little better under some conditions, a little worse in others.