Old May 7th 18, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

Default Why no

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 9:49:32 PM UTC-5, kirk.stant wrote:
On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 9:43:59 PM UTC-5, Mike Schumann wrote:

How about you actually reading my posts???? I didn't say that PowerFlarm doesn't show ADS-B traffic. I said that it doesn't show UAT ADS-B traffic. Nor did I say that it did't show transponder traffic. I said it didn't show TIS-B traffic.

Supporting TIS-B improves the situational awareness in regard to transponder equipped aircraft orders of magnitude better than the PowerFlarm PCAS type transponder detection. PowerFlarm can't give you any hints on where a transponder equipped aircraft is (behind you, in front, to the left????). The range is a very crude approximation based on signal strength. The only thing it can tell you pretty accurately is the altitude of the transponder aircraft.

An ADS-B receiver that supports TIS-B will show you exactly where a transponder equipped aircraft is, to the same resolution as is visible on ATC radar. This of course assumes that you are within range of an ADS-B ground station and that your aircraft is ADS-B OUT equipped.

Mike, unlike you, I can read and comprehend. Your posts about Flarm are factually incorrect. You don't like Flarm, OK, don't use it. But right NOW, ADS-B is pretty much a non-player in the glider market. Again, tell me what YOU use in your pure glider?

Yesterday my PF was happily showing me airliners, commuters, and VFR traffic (via Mode C PCAS). No UAT? So effing what - UAT has to have Mode C or Mode S - and I see that. And what is the fleet implementation of UAT - or Mode-S ADS-B out - in the aircraft ACTUALLY FLYING RIGHT NOW? 20%, max?.

Hey, if your ADS-B in/out gives you warm fuzzies, great! Me, my PF gives me what I need, right now. In a few years, there may be a suitable ADS-B Out solution that I will get. Who knows. But the trash you are putting out helps NO-ONE.

Kirk
66

Please share with me exactly what I am saying about PowerFlarm that is factually incorrect?