Old January 9th 05, 01:08 AM
Stan Gosnell

wrote in news:1105228604.387662.151640
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

In either case, it is not something you like to see--military jets
pulling up alongside your flight. I understand it is especially
unnerving if they happen to have other than US markings.

I haven't seen other than US markings, but it's not unknown for other
countries to fly aircraft close to the coast, just to reinforce their
right, just as it's not unknown for foreign warships to steam a few miles
out. I have seen US aircraft intercept me, once because my transponder
had slipped a cog internally, and once because a P3 (!) decided to come
take a look, even though I hadn't penetrated the ADIZ, just playing
around as far as I could tell. It's not that frightening, really, it's
more amusing to see a jet fighter try to slow down enough to do an
intercept of a helicopter.

Almost all the fighters doing intercepts of ADIZ inbounds are F16s,
because that's the standard type, but entering restricted or prohibited
areas inland may result in whatever type is based there.

--
Regards,

Stan