Old February 8th 04, 11:35 AM
Stuart King

Default Night over water

I left MYR (Myrtle Beach, SC) last night about 8PM, departing on rwy 18. A
VFR aircraft departed just before me, and he got departure instructions of
turn north on course as soon as able (over the land). I was continued 180
after takeoff on an IFR flight plan. I was about 1/2mile out over the water
before I got turned back inland and oncourse. I never seem to be able to
shake that feeling of 'wow' when I fly out over the ocean at night. Its so
very dark.

I was wondering if controllers intentionally steer VFR flights away from
this, and steer them toward land earlier?

My wife says she feels like she is going to fall off the earth out there.

Stuart