Old August 23rd 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

Default Twin tachs

I've been talking to John at Diamondaire... Rochester totally dropped the
project, he's now working with Westach, but nothing forthcoming. His
solution for now is to use tach generators and electric tachs as the late F
model Aztecs and Barons had.

For now, I'll put in a twin needle mechanical and keep the tach cables
installed. If I blow a cable I'll think about my options once again. I'd
love a dual electronic tach from EI or Horizon... someday... but unless they
come out with a 3 1/8" model I'd have to redo the right panel

Jim

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
"Jim Burns" writes:

One option is to simply get a mechanical dual tach and connect both tach
cables to the single tach but I don't know of a dual recording tach that

has
dual hour meters. Anybody?

I probably have the one we pulled from our Aztec in my junk box.

So far, I have not found a company that makes a dual electronic tach.
Neither E.I or Horizon seem to offer a dual tach.

I was told that Horizon would have a dual tach. "soon" when we were
looking in 2001.

Also, due to panel
configuration, I want a 3 1/8" dia tach not the smaller 2 1/4" tachs that

EI
or Horizon offer, I have no room for additional 2 1/4" gauges.

The Horizon P-1000 is a larger tach.

Another option is (always) on the horizon...
http://diamondaire.com/aztec.htm

Rochester engine instrumentation.We are currently working with
Rochester Gauges of Texas to introduce new 2-1/4" dual-needle
STC'd backlit gauges. [...] A 3-1/8" dual electric STC'd
tachometer will also be available.
(They've been saying that for awhile now.)

Is there anybody out there with any insight into this dilemma?

It's worth pursuing. I hate mechanical tachs. I've replaced those
damn cables way too many times. It makes no sense to have all that
crap in the plane just to provide a really lousy estimate of engine
speed. In a single it's o.k. but in a twin it's ridiculous. (I recall
the joy of yanking those cable housings out of my plane!)

You will love an electronic tach. I especially like the mag. failure
lights and the mag. drop feature. Having a tach. that always works and
is accurate without constant maintenance is pretty sweet too.

--kyler