Old February 7th 19, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default Noise Canceling headset

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 9:11:51 AM UTC-6, wrote:
What is the best value noise canceling headset for a motor glider.

An article years ago was published in which sound pressure levels were measured in some motorgliders. As I recall, the ranges were 100-115 dB, making effective hearing protection important.

For years, I used in my Ventus Cm the best earplugs I could find (about 30 dB reduction), for my scalp is very close to the canopy, risking both the canopy and my head, and inadvertent dislodgement of the headset.

About 4 years ago, I discovered the Clarity Aloft headset with expandable earbuds, that combine the 30dB passive protection of earplugs with absent headband.