Old November 28th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
KDR

Default B-58's targets in a nuclear war

Tex Houston wrote:
"KDR" wrote in message
ups.com...

Darrell S wrote:
Probably 2 refuelings since the B-58's were first kept in Texas and later
in
Arkansas and Indiana.

--
Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler Web Site URL (below)

"KDR" wrote in message
ups.com...
A 1968 letter from Defense Secretary Clifford to State Secretary Rusk
at http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/frus/jo...b/xii/2262.htm mentioned
that the air bases in Spain were originally built for SAC operations
and some B-58 bombers and accompanying tankers were earmarked for
forward deployment there.

How many refuels were needed for a fully-laden B-58 to bomb its target
in the USSR and come back to Spain?

On a side note, Vice Admiral Gerald E. Miller wrote in his book
"Nuclear Weapons and Aircraft Carriers" that the Navy RA-5C Vigilantes
- operating from carriers in the Bay of Biscay - were assigned to
targets in Eastern Europe.

Thanks for the reply but what I want to know is the number of required
refuelings when the B-58s flew from bases in Spain to bomb targets in
the USSR and come back to Spain.

You're making an assumption that might not be true. The sortie in question
might not come back to that base. A Post-Strike Recovery Base might not be
home but a place that might have some chance of still being in existence
such as a bare bones strip somewhere.

Tex Houston

All right, the source I quoted in my first post indicated that some
B-52s would have landed somewhere in the Middle East after bombing
Soviet targets.

"7. The air bases in Spain were originally built for SAC operations,
and SAC still has contingency plans for their use. These involve the
prestrike forward deployment of some B-58 bombers and accompanying
tankers, the post-strike recovery for a few B-52's [1 line of source
text not declassified] in the Middle East."