Old December 11th 04, 04:04 AM
Roy Page

Elliot,
I very much appreciate your factual and detailed account of the problems you
experienced and the suggestions to seek return of the crankcases etc.
This is what I need, good sound advice.
Do you have any documents from your situation that you would be prepared to
copy to me.
I am a bit of a leech when folk do me down.
In this case Airpower and Lycoming have gained a leech that, with help from
the forum, is going to be difficult to shake off.
Thanks again.

--
Roy Page - Secretary
Taylorcraft Flying Club

wrote in message

On 9-Dec-2004, "Roy Page" wrote:

We would appreciate any suggestions how to counter this attack on our
depleted piggy bank.

I thought you might appreciate some constructive advice regarding your
specific situation, as opposed to general griping. I reported this
situation in an earlier thread, so I'll just summarize here.

We recently swapped the IO-360 in our Arrow IV, which had about 2100 SMOH,
for a Lyc factory rebuilt ("zero time") engine purchased through Airpower.
Lycoming wanted to withhold $3000 of our core deposit because of some
vaguely described cracks in the old crankcase. Our A&P (a very straight
shooter at a very reputable shop) was quite surprised, as he had never
seen
the cracking problem as described on an IO-360. He had just recently
inspected the old engine during the plane's regular annual. Upon
questioning, the Lyc representative claimed that the cracks were well
documented in photos of the dye penetrant test. We asked for copies of
the
photos, but after being put off for weeks, Lycoming claimed that the
photos
were not available, and that the case had been scrapped. At that point we
SHOULD have demanded a full refund of the core deposit, but what we did do
is offer to split the difference -- $1500 -- which was accepted.

Throughout this process, Airpower acted merely as a conduit of
communication
between us (the owners) and Lycoming, so I can't say they really had
anything to do with the outcome.

Bottom line, my advice to you is to demand the "unacceptable" case back.
You will, of course, have to pay shipping charges. If Lycoming has
scrapped
the case, then demand a full refund of the core deposit.

I don't know whether Lycoming is doing anything underhanded in all of
this.
It could just be that they are becoming increasingly fussy about integrity
of the case cores that they reuse in "rebuilt" engines. That would be
good
news for us, since that is what we just bought. My understanding is that
there is a big demand for rebuilt IO-360s, so it is hard to imagine why
they
would scrap a usable case to save $3000. Unless, that is, they can build
new case for less than that.

--
-Elliott Drucker