Old August 21st 03, 04:00 PM
Chip Jones

"Newps" wrote in message
news:9VQ0b.210033$Ho3.27525@sccrnsc03...

Chip Jones wrote:
Had I known that
these aircraft were going to get so apparently close in the end without

visual, I would have vectored the Baron early in the interests of air

safety
(regardless of what the 7110 dictates) to avoid the alert.

That is far and away the better procedure. I have had a few situations
like that and I will never let it get to a safety alert status. The IFR
guy will get vectored. It also saves time.

I totally agree, but it requires that you recognize the situation and have
time to deal with it. In my airspace I simply don't have the time to vector
every IFR around potential VFR traffic because I am too busy slinging IFR's
around IFR's or providing other IFR services. The avoidance of the alert to
begin with is indeed better for all concerned IMO, but it is not always
possible because of workload.

Chip, ZTL