Old October 11th 18, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default ADSB panel display

Depending on where you fly (lots of power traffic or lots of glider traffic) the first priority ought to be a Mode-S transponder or a PowerFLARM (respectively) and the second priority ought to be the other one. ADS-B Out comes third and ADS-B In (other than the ADS-B In found in PowerFLARM comes last. (…)

"Depending on where you fly"... Quite a number of us, glider pilots, don't fly in just one area - and that includes myself. For the last few years I managed to take my glider from Mid-West to Seminole for the winter season. The GA traffic along the edge of the Orlando Class B is immense, and by its nature the Florida peninsula is a 'corridor' used by the military and all kinds of GA aircraft. So Mode-S transponder capable of adding ADS-B should be - IMHO - the first choice if you add new safety equipment. And the ADS-B In receiver should not be even mentioned as an alternative choice because with its low price these days - under a $100 -it should be an early add-on in any combination. And only after that would PowerFlarm be a hesitant consideration to me, because of the expense, and space, and power draining and.... yes, antennas, cables, GPS receivers (distance!), software updates, poor range complaints etc.