Old February 22nd 04, 05:06 AM
Al Dykes

In article ,
R. David Steele wrote:

| "I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed
|managed to
| wangle slots in the Army Reserve and National Guard units." -- Colin
|Powell, My
| American Journey, 1995
|
|Bush served in the Military and was discharged honorably...get over it. He
|could have chosen not to serve at all and gone off to Oxford.
|

|Sorry. Old man Bush had no influence to get his dumb kid into a school like
|Oxford. He could only wheedle Yale and Harvard to let the" c" student in. But
|if young Bush didn't have a powerful rich father he never would have gotten
|into either school nor the National Guard for that matter.

The Bush family does not even begin to have the wealth that
Senator Edwards (D-NC) has (over $50 million). And Sen. Kerry
(D-MA) has ten times that ($500 million).

I can't speak to Edwards or Kerry but it seems that the Bush
family's money has very deeep roots that mean at least amount
as the bank bank balance; See

American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune, and the Politics of
Deceit in the House of Bush by Kevin Phillips

At that time, Texas was ran by LBJ and his buddies. Not a
friendly place for republicans.

The main reason the GWB was able to get in was that he signed up
to fly the F-102 and take two years of active duty. There were
over 35 slots open in that unit due to the active duty
requirements.

If you want to vent your hate, vent at our fellow democrats who
created that system to protect their buddies. If you have
forgotten the '60s, that was an era when the democrats in
congress created high tax rates then had all sorts of loop holes
for their buddies.

--
Al Dykes