View Single Post
Old October 30th 20, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 9:16:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Nothing wrong with a decent sized sedan or crossover vehicle for glider towing. As stated previously, weight and wheelbase are your friends. Subaru Outback is about as small as I would go.

I've towed since 1995 with a Nissan Maxima (great), Nissan Frontier V6/2WD (great, mileage sucked), 13 yrs with a VW Jetta diesel (very good), and 1 and a bit with a 2014 VW Golf Wagon (Jetta Sportswagen in the US - great); both the VW's were manual trans (5 and 6 speed respectively). I've towed a tube trailer with an Austria in it (up to 2007), and an Avionic AVG15 with an SZD 55 in it since (just under 2,000 lbs - tow limit of the 2014 Golf Wagon). The clamshell trailer is easier on fuel (for the diesels, goes from 45 USmpg to 32 when towing at Interstate speeds). Nothing wrong with a small sedan/wagon for towing. Both the trailers had hydraulic brakes which worked very well. Lived in Colorado, and tow in NY (Lake Placid) and to the Ridge in PA; hills were no problem.

I've also used a newer Honda CRV for the club land-out king, and it was usable (disliked the adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping beeps).