Old December 21st 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Who's Boss?

Well . . . I want to be in contact with them because they are trying to
manage the airspace. I don't want to be rude. I know at least two of these
controllers personally. Sort of like knocking on the door before walking in,
but I want to leave if they start making me do something I don't want to.
The problem is that once you accept the invitation to the party, it's rude
to start trying to changing the itinerary. On the other hand, they know me.
I am based there. I am friends with a couple of the controllers. For me to
fly so close to their airspace unannounced is bad manners. My controller
friends oblige, but there are a few guys who don't seem to give a rat's ass.
Anyway, there's no real answer, but seeking it has enhanced my understanding
of the process. Thanks.

I'm reminded of a time I was flying through very busy Tampa airpace. The
controller wanted to vector me 30 miles offshore into an icing layer and got
irritated when I declined. It led me to coin the phrase, "Request vectors to
a less busy controller."

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message

wrote in message
. ..

Rather than shoot the approach as published, I guess I could just program
the GPS 16 with vectors and do my own vectors. This would allow me to
descend slighly to the west of the Class C airspace, then intercept the
GPS or ILS glideslope and lateral guidance as I got closer to the
airport. (I have a healthy respect for the black hole illusion.) As far
as the controller is concerned, I'm just shooting my own visual approach.
If he interferes, I just cancel following an squak VFR.

Why contact ATC in the first place you're going to refuse the service?