Old January 20th 10, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave Kearton[_3_]

Default QF-14

Too much chance of Iran getting hold of some parts...

"jkochko68" wrote in message
We can't secure F-14 Tomcats on a military base? I'm sure its not that
simple but to scrap a Mach 2+?
aircraft seems kind of dumb. Why not turn them into very high
performance cruise missiles or piloted
UCAVs for very high risk missions? I just see it as a waste of a great
aircraft.

JK

The Iran question probably wouldn't involve completed aircraft, as you point
out, they're counted and locked up at night..

While the Iranians can fabricate their own simple parts like carbies, tail
lights and bumpers, the warehouses of computer systems that are Tomcat
exclusive or no longer available commercially, would be the real issue.

If a USN storeman is tempted with a million dollars for a box of parts that
will get a few planes airborne, that could change the dynamic in the region.
It wouldn't necessarily change the balance of power, but it'll cause more
angst than it's worth.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton