Old March 15th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Default new tow plane/tow hitch

Andy wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:19 pm, jim wrote:
We want to install a tow hitch on a recently acquired Husky in
preparation for the contest season. Is a Tost hitch required or
preferred for SSA sanctioned events? Is the venerable Schweitzer
hitch still OK ? If so, for how long? Tost is the standard in
Europe. Is the US moving toward that standard? Has anyone used the
Husky/Super Cub Tost hitch kit offered on Wings and Wheels?

If you are going to be the one flying the Husky perhaps you should
make your decision based on whether you hope to be able to release the
rope in the event of an upset. My preference, if on the front end of
the rope, would be to have a Tost hook.

I don't know how many tow pilots we need to kill or maim before the
Schweizer hook is eliminated from tugs.

If you decide to go for the Schweizer hook you may want to consider
the inverted installation which some believe provides a better chance
of release.

Andy

We had a world class pilot write off an ASW20 in December. The schweizer
hook turned 180 degrees and sold him the rope at 50 feet... An anthill
saw to the rest.

Get a Tost...