Old July 14th 10, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
T182T

Default FAA Medical Question

I have always had a First-Class medical, not because my aviation
activity (PPL/IR) requires it, but mostly in case I don’t get in to see
the doctor in time, so it derates to a second class instead of leaving
me grounded. That happened this year for the first time, because my
doctor told me she is retiring, so I need to find someone else.

I have moderate arterial hypertension (about 160/110 uncontrolled)
which is well controlled (130/85) with a calcium channel blocker
(verapamil, 360 mg/d). This condition is unchanged throughout all the
years I have been flying. Also, because I am over 40 and I always get a
first-class medical, it means I have an EKG every year, and these have
always been perfectly normal.

My problem is that my AME has always considered this well-controlled
condition to be not serious enough to bother with the FAA procedures,
and not worth declaring. So all these years I have declared that I am
not taking any medication, when this is not in fact true. My question
is, now that I have to change AME, is this the time to "come clean" with
the FAA and declare this condition? I have never lied to the medical
examiner, she is the one who suggested I not declare it, stating that I
do not have a serious medical condition or a higher chance that the
average person to have a health-related incident when flying. If I
don’t say this to the new AME then it becomes me who is not telling the
truth, and I know the FAA takes a dim view of this. On the other hand,
if I come forward with it then it becomes obvious there has been a
"white lie" for many years. I am also concerned for the AME. Even if she
is now retired, I’m concerned another doctor could find fault with her
method, even though she has always been very thorough, and my exams have
rarely lasted less than 2 hours with all the tests and questionnaires.

Question for those who really know - What’s the best thing for me to do?