Old March 3rd 19, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Presentation - Working with Air Lines

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 3:08:50 PM UTC, Charles Longley wrote:
Good article! I don’t like the castration rings because they erode quickly. I use the small black tie wraps from this vendor- https://tiewraps.com/stainlesstooth_twpage.html

As Matt said, tie wraps are not the best idea as they are known to sometimes cause leaks by pinching if they are very tight and are useless for grip if they are loose. On instruments and metal T-pieces etc nothing additional is usually needed to keep tubes in place. Alternatively use a couple of rounds of locking wire which gives an even squeeze. Those little rubber rings have no effect IMHO except on soft silicone tubing.

On plastic T-pieces which may have a little moulding flashing then the best way I know to make a good seal and help with location is (after removing as much flashing as possible) to use some soft contact adhesive like Evo-Stik. It is still to remove tubes and pick off adhesive remnants when necessary.

BTW we had a brand new glider delivered from the factory with the TE tube disconnected from its fitting in the fin. It had been held on by a tie wrap..

Another thing I think is important is to support any loops of free tubing and generally immobilize tubing as much as possible to prevent pressure changes from the tubing flopping about in turbulence or under G forces on thermal entry pull-ups.