Old November 11th 03, 02:43 PM
Ron Natalie

"Ekim" wrote in message om...

Was all that preaching JUST to reduce the chance of invoking a deadly
spin in case the wings are accidentally stalled?

Yes, by an ignorant flight instructor. While keeping in coordinated flight
will certainly alleviate the chances of spinning, a slip doesn't mean you
necessarily will. Avoiding stalling is really important. You can't spin without
stalling and even stalls without spins on approach aren't a good idea.

It seems to all
contradict everything about slips on final and the famous
"low-wing-into-the-wind" crosswind landings?

You have to slip at some point in a crosswind unless you're going to
touch down in a crab which is bad for most aircraft.

In my mind, as long as I keep my airspeed sufficiently high and keep
the nose pointed down, (ie. keep my AOA under control) things like a
steeper banks and routine slip to landings should be relatively safe.
Right?

Well slips are ok. Steeper banks are still a problem. Remember your
accellerated stall drills.