Old November 27th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Default Maintenance

Bert,

I beg to disagree. When wire rope or cables flex over a pulley or sheave,
the strands rub against one another. Some larger cables are lubricated as
part of the manufacturing process. I think the smaller aircraft cable we're
talking about is not.

Lubricating the cables, where they flex or rub, will greatly enhance their
service life. A good penetrating lubricant, one with a carrier that
evaporates, is best (Tri-Flow or Super Lube spray come to mind).

bumper
zz
Minden

"Bert Willing" wrote in message
Yes. You don't lubricate cables in the first place.

Bert

"Steve Freeman" wrote in message
I am new to glider ownership an am about to disassemble the interior
to get to all the cables etc. for inspection and lubrication. Any
advice on what is the best lubricant to use for cables etc.?