Old May 8th 17, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

Default SPOT 3 now reporting altitude?

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 8:01:46 AM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 4:04:22 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 7:35:00 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I noticed my trace from spot 3 yesterday had altitude included. When did that start happening?

Matt

I think you'll find the data you are looking at is the height of the ground where you flew, which Spot has had inits Web UI forever, maybe you never noticed it before. No spot system transmits altitude data, and the current message format used does not have space for such data.

I took a screenshot of the SSA sailplane tracker, and it sure looks like altitude to me. I see altitude gain at specific points (Williams airport, actually) where I thermal and gained about 3000ft over flat terrain. That is reflected in my spot trace. Check out my Saturday flight out of Williams.

Matt

Matt - Why don't you contact SPOT to see what they have to say? Perhaps they can tell you exactly "what" is going on...Thx - Renny