Old January 29th 21, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Another oldie showcasing Soaring's Finest?

When I see an aircraft tail number in an old movie or advert I like to look it up to see if the ship is still flying - especially gliders.

I found that N5752S was previously registered to a 2-33A and that registration was cancelled in 1989. So that prettily painted ship is no longer with us (DOA or left the country) and the tail number was subsequently reassigned. Nothing new there. BTW: I could not find any NTSB report for N5752S (yep, I looked in the two NTSB databases for pre-2009 and post-2008 events).

N5752S is currently registered to a Blank L-13 (registered to Silver Creek Glider Club located NE of St Louis*) as of 2002. The odd part is that this L-13 was manufactured in 1967, two years before the car commercial was made!

I'm curious what happened to this L-13 between 1967 and 2002. Lived at another club? Lived outside the US before being imported into the US? Is it flying now with a repaired spar?

Expiring minds want to know.

Thanks, John OHM

* The SSA "Where to Fly" database shows an L-13 associated with the St. Louis Soaring Association but none at Silver Creek. Mysteries inside of mysteries.