Old August 19th 10, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default RANS S-9 Chaos loses a wing

On Aug 18, 10:58*am, Dan wrote:
Tom De Moor wrote:
In article ,
says...
Anyhow, how could someone see that and not be sold on ballistic chutes? *I was
amazed at how gentle the landing seemed to be.

I would prefer the plane not to break up...

Tom De Moor

* *I can see a recovery parachute if the airplane were to be flown at or
near the edge of the envelope on a regular basis. Most people stay well
within limits. I also wonder if having one installed would tempt a pilot
to fly in a regime where he really shouldn't or isn't qualified.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Dan, it seems to me an aircraft brought to the ground under a recovery
parachute suffers quite a lot of damage. I doubt a pilot would risk
breaking his airplane because he has a recovery parachute any more
than he or she would because the door is held in place with quick
release hinges and he is wearing a parachute.

Test pilots of course are a different story: their job is poke in
those dark corners.