Old August 19th 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default RANS S-9 Chaos loses a wing

"Dan" wrote in message
Tom De Moor wrote:
In article ,
lid says...
Anyhow, how could someone see that and not be sold on ballistic chutes?
I was amazed at how gentle the landing seemed to be.

I would prefer the plane not to break up...

Tom De Moor

I can see a recovery parachute if the airplane were to be flown at or
near the edge of the envelope on a regular basis. Most people stay well
within limits. I also wonder if having one installed would tempt a pilot
to fly in a regime where he really shouldn't or isn't qualified.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I lso suspect the same, and might add that he was very fortunate that the
failure did not occur near the bottom of the "box"--assuming that I have the
terminology correct.

Peter