Old May 2nd 16, 04:26 AM
Skypilot Skypilot is offline
Member

QUOTE=Dave Nadler;924639]On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 8:43:09 PM UTC-4, Skypilot wrote:
...calibrated to remove gusts and other abnormalities..

"Except that's when a wing stalls..."

I always thought they stalled when the Critical Angle of Attack was exceeded. Therefore if you could remove the inaccuracies of a vane type AoA it would be good.

"It takes less than 10 seconds to spin into the ground"

Yes but I cant help but feel if you never ended up in a fully developed spin below 1000' it might be a good start. I suspect that at the end of a 5 hour task having a system that says "hey numpty, you are thermalling below 1000', you are in ery little lift and I have noticed that you keep increasing your AoA, if you continue to do this we might enter a spin from which you may not be able to recover from before we hit the ground. Why don't you unload the wing a little and increase speed to give yourself a nice tight circle with a reduced AoA

...I guess at some point we will move to HUD's..

"To interfere with our vision of thermal clues and traffic?"

Yeah because no cockpit I have ever seen has flarm, moving map or instruments below the coaming. I mean no pilot looks at all that stuff when they should have their heads outside do they ???. Yet one simple piper could give you track, speed to fly and selectable FLARM

kind regards

Justin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left_lx9000_groot.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	82015

Last edited by Skypilot : May 2nd 16 at 04:40 AM.