Old May 2nd 16, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default AOA indicator

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 8:20:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:

In my opinion while a "working" AOA would be somewhat helpfull, both an AOA and an airspeed can lead to a false sense of security. But understanding the dynamics of turning flight is the best key to real safety. Langshweger or however you spell/pronounce his name in the classic "Stick and Rudder" knew this 60 years ago.
Dan

Dan, please explain how a "working" AOA indicator could lead to a false sense of security? I know how a working airspeed indicator can, and I also (from personal experience - war story) know how a "not-working correctly" AOA indicator can lead to a false sense of security; which is why you are taught to cross check the two to make sure they are both working and make sense..

Last comment on AOA vs Airspeed. AOA is a control instrument, like an attitude indicator or yaw string. Airspeed is a performance instrument, like the altimeter and variometer.

Kirk
66