Old May 2nd 16, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default AOA indicator

As to an AOA leading to a false sense of security, the key word is "working" as we have discussed all of the variables that need to be accounted for to have a usefull gayge for sailplane application. But given someone developes an AOA that accounts for them, there is the gust factor. This is the one variable that in my opinion can not be eliminated. Since they occur so instantaneously, if a guy is relying on the AOA or for that matter the airspeed indicator to tell him hes in trouble, its already too late.

Secondly, while the pawnee and most other spray planes have a stall warning based upon airflow they are worthless. So much so that as I stated in an earlier post, most duster pilots either disengage them or ignore them.

The very first thing I do when flying an unknown aircraft or one I have limited experience in, I take her up and run a stall series. I want to directly know what she is like in slow flight and what she tells me around the slow end of the envelop. I also want to know how she actually stalls. Case in point that wonderfull 2-32. She breaks sharply and rapidly with not much warning, as does my old pilatus. In fact I do this with every aircraft I am tasked with flying. Pawnees vary in their behavior. I once flew one which would fall off rapidly and suddenly to the right if just a little right rudder was held in near the stall, but was as gentle as a pussy cat when flown on the edge to the left. She had to have been crooked due to all her previous accidents and repairs.

What I am attempting to do in each of these excercises is teach my butt and flight senses to memorize the symptoms and behavior of the craft way before or irrespective of what the flight manual numbers say or for that matter what the airspeed says. Our pawnee back at my home club in FL is a good 20 mph off. Reading 80 mph indicated is in actuality 60 mph. If a guy doesnt "feel" what that pawnee is doing and just goes by the indicated airspeed he is gonna be in deep ****.
Dan