Old May 2nd 16, 09:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default AOA indicator

On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 5:01:15 PM UTC+3, kirk.stant wrote:
Amazing how almost everyone who actually hasn't used a real AOA system dismisses the concept out of hand.

Not me. I'd love one. I merely stipulate that it needs to measure the actual AOA (whether by a vane or differential pitot pressures I don't care), and not *assume* the AOA because of some guesstimated data input to a PDA or "vario" or whatever.

I'm a computer programmer with experience doing embedded stuff. As a result, I have much less faith in them than many others do!

Also, it's FAR easier to optimise something -- that is, to find the maximum or minimum of a smooth function -- than it is to precisely predict the location of a discontinuity such as a stall.