Old June 15th 05, 06:31 AM
Bruce

ContestID67 wrote:
I searched back a few years in rec.aviation.soaring to see if this
topic was covered before. If so please forgive me.

I am looking to replace my mechanical Winter vario with a electric or
electronic vario. Any suggestions?

Also, which do you prefer;

1) The mechanical/electrical versions such as a Borgelt B40.
2) An electronic version such as the Tasman V1000.

Thanks, John

We recently installed Tasman V1000 varios in one of our club ships and a
syndicate Std Cirrus.

Results are good so far - occasionally wish it were possible to read 5m/s.
Audio is very clear. I have sensitive hearing, and would prefer to be able to
set the audio quieter. Even in our vintage Bergfalke with its howling gaps we
set it down to 50% volume.

What clinched it for us is the total absence of moving parts. In a club glider
that operates off rough grass this is a really desirable feature.
Similarly we were looking for a smaller and lighter unit, so the 57mm size
suited well. The internal and remote speaker option for the repeated setup is
very neatly wired and compact. Again from a maintenance perspective this is good.

We particularly like the "always on" averager display.
The LCD display is not as good at showing rate of change as a needle - but it
forces one to rely on the audio (which is very sensitive.)From a safety
perspective this is desirable - both students and experienced types have
commented that their eyes spend more time out of the cockpit.

Conclusion - we are extremely happy with the choice - would do the same again.
Service from Tasman has been excellent.
--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57