Old February 7th 18, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Justin Craig[_3_]

Default SGP vs. Normal Racing

What is interesting on this subject is that nobody has stated why they feel
that SGP is less safe than the "standard format" competition.

SGP puts an emphasis on racing, rather than distance. It essentially uses
the best part of the day to go as fast as possible.

The reference to the tragic accident in Chile, I do not believe is relevant
to the SGP format, it was mountain flying accident.

Flying in the mountains carries additional risk, risk that is mitigated by
an experienced mountain pilot.

So….. take the SGP out of the mountains, how is it more dangerous. I do
not believe it is.

I have not flown an SGP, but do have several hundred hours in the French
alps.

As an aside, I personally would not fly any comp in the mountains, but that
is due to my expertise level. Would I in five years’ time with more
mountain experience? Who knows.