Old April 8th 05, 02:55 AM
John R. Copeland

"Roy Smith" wrote in message =
I just noticed an interesting problem with the Instrument Rating PTS. =

It=20
says:
=20
Aircraft and Equipment Required for the Practical Test
[...] GPS equipment must [...] contain the current database.
=20
The problem is that not all GPS units require that the database be =

current. =20
The CNX-80 AFM Supplement says:
=20
2.3 DATABASE
The CNX80 Database Card P/N 138-0329-010 Rev. -- (or later FAA =

approved=20
version) must be installed.
a) IFR enroute and terminal navigation is prohibited unless the pilot=20
verifies the currency of the database or verifies each selected =

waypoint=20
for accuracy by reference to current approved data.
b) Instrument approaches using the CNX80 are prohibited unlessCNX80=20
approach data is verified by the pilot or crew to be current. =

Instrument=20
approaches must be accomplished in accordance with approved instrument =

approach procedures that are loaded from the CNX80 database.
=20
So, it's perfectly legal for me to fly with an expired database, as =

long as=20
I verify that the data is correct (presumably by comparison to a =

current=20
chart).

Roy, I've wrestled with that same idea.
I've concluded they are two separate items. That's to say:
(a) I may navigate IFR with an expired CNX80 database if I verify its =
data, but
(b) I may not use an expired database on a flight test.
I can live with that dichotomy.