Old February 24th 04, 05:06 PM
Ron Webb

If what I hear is true, there is very little american wood left in Alaska

Son...you haven't got a clue! And you have been listening to NPR for too
long ;^{

The loggable area in the Tongass ALONE is the size on Conneticut, and the
hoopla is over a few square miles...

Look at the following text copied from one of the environmentalist web
sites.

""
A surprising amount of the Tongass National Forest isn't forest at all.
Actually, two-thirds of the 17-million acre Tongass is rock, ice, muskeg
(wetlands), and scrub timber. While one-third of the Tongass is considered
commercial forest, the biggest stands of old-growth forest make up only 4%
of the National Forest. These lush valley-bottom and beach fringe areas are
most in demand--they provide critical habitat for fish and wildlife and are
the most lucrative forest for logging. In the past 50 years, over half of
this habitat has been clearcut.
"

Has 17 million acres been clearcut? Well No...
Has 30% (the part covered with huge trees) been cut? Well no...
Has 4% been cut? Well No...
Has 2% been cut? Yea, OK - But that took 50 years! And that's using THEIR
numbers.

When I was in engineering school, we had a whole semester on "engineering
economics". The last half turned into a course on "How to LIE with
statistics". These people seem to have used most of the methods.