Old August 10th 03, 09:52 PM
Paul

The reason for the whinging regarding the AAT tasks at the worlds was with a
50km radius area and only 20km vis in the haze it was a lottery deciding how
far into the zone to fly. They had a rule that a certain percentage of the
tasks have to be AATs. 20% I seem to remember.
I agree that is should be a task set on a iffy weather day not a ripper
racing day.
Sort of a task setters " Buggered if I know but lets get in the air and see"
day.
Paul

I suggest that everybody study the rules used at the Worlds,
especially for speed tasks: Start line (1600 meters or so height, 10
km wide), no altitude limit before. 500m radius turnpoints. 1 km
finish line, no altitude limit.

Treat pilots like adults and most will behave like adults. A few
won't. I really don't care about them - they are hopeless anyway.

Interestingly, there was apparently a lot of complaining about all the
AATs (our TATs) that were called - the pilots were getting really
tired of them and wanted to get back to real racing.

What a surprise.

TATs should ONLY be called if there is no alternative - if the weather
is so unpredictable that an AST cannot be safely called. Period.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a ******!

Kirk 66
Flew a 309 mile 3:30 TAT yesterday at 86 mph and 3:35. Great AZ
desert conditions. TS1 beat me at 87 mph and 316 miles and 3:39.

But I would have preferred an AST!