Old February 15th 04, 11:49 AM
David Cartwright

Better to learn at learn that [Luton] level, than to learn at a grass
strip and be
frightened of going near a control zone.

Yes, definitely. I learned to fly at Norwich, and actually did about 10
hours out of RAF Coltishall, and so I got to do a lot of R/T that those
flying from little rural places wouldn't do. My R/T examiner commented that
he can always tell someone who's done their course at a fully-featured, busy
airport versus someone who's learned at a dinky place with an oft-silent
air-ground station and has no actual experience of (say) calling a military
guy for a MATZ crossing, or having a radar advisory service, or whatever.

D.