Old November 28th 15, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Is FLARM helpful?

I have some experience of head-on meetings under cloud streets and narrowly avoided a couple of collisions in my pre-Flarm days. Closing speeds are impressively high and the interval between seeing a glider head-on and avoiding it impressively short. Fifteen seconds warning is almost certain to be a lot better than you have visually.

However, I cannot understand how anyone believes that reducing the amount of information on glider positions by using stealth mode does anything other than reduce safety. I believe the concern over leeching is seriously misplaced.

Mike