Old May 27th 19, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Are off-airport landouts common and/or dangerous?

"If my glider is totaled by my insurance company, I doubt that I could afford to get another one like it, since I got a very good glider at a great price."

Ben, already a lot of good answers below. Two points, one is raise the hull value of your glider so it would be replaceable. It is YOUR DECLARED VALUE, not what you bought it for. An increase in hull value will probably not cost you as much as you think, and damage to your glider where the hull value is too low will certainly cost you more than you want.

On landing out, Wind, Wires, Slope, Surface. Slope almost always trumps wind. If you can see it from the air, land up slope.

Kevin Anderson
92