Old April 8th 04, 05:13 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Kevin Brooks
writes
"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
Flight trials of the GPS Guidance Package for JDAM started in 1993 as
far as I can tell (INTEGRATED INS/GPS TAKES OFF IN THE US, INTERNATIONAL
DEFENSE REVIEW, February 1993)

But gee, Paul, if you can't show, on the web, where there were by-golly
*release* trials, etc., at that time, then you have...nothing! They might as
well not exist! That is your argument elsewhere, right?

No.

Development of a weapon's sensor requires captive-carry flight early in
development, with carriage and release trials of the all-up round later.
The contention was that GPS-aided weapons weren't flying until late last
decade: in fact development work and flight trials of the guidance unit
started about five years before that, leading to fielded weapons by 1997
or so.

However, integration of a weapon onto an aircraft isn't complete until
you've demonstrated fit, function and safe separation, and got whoever
your equivalent of DOSG is to certify it fit for live carriage.

Different discussions, different criteria.

At this rate I'm going to have to charge you for lessons.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill