Old February 28th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default annual interruptus

Why not? They work. The plans are growing.

Your plan is not the norm. I'm glad it's "working" for you, but the
fact is that if your company is paying you to "retire" at age 52 (or
whatever you said), there is going to be a competitor out there that
ISN'T.

That savings will be the death of your company, because it's just
plain stupid to pay young men to sit around and do nothing.
Companies that are smart enough NOT to pay young men to NOT work will
win, in an open market.

Michigan has been unable to wean itself from the auto industry and
with the inertia of that industry and its employees, it's probably
going to get far worse before it gets better.

That's for sure. I lived through (on a much smaller scale) the
economic devastation that occurs when an auto maker goes belly up,
back when American Motors Corporation died. The economy of Kenosha,
Wisconsin was ruined for a decade or more.

They've now recovered fully, with nearly full employment -- but there
are still a lot of bitter old men there, wondering what happened to
their cushy lives...

It never even dawns on them that the answer is in the mirror.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

OTOH we do have the
*possibility* of agriculture and alternative energy sources/fuels, but
only time will tell. If they think Michigan and the auto industry are
in bad shape now, wait until gas goes above $3.50 a gallon and stays
there. I doubt it's all that far off and increasing oil production
capacity is one of the worst things they can do.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)www.rogerhalstead.com