Old June 15th 05, 04:32 AM
COLIN LAMB

A couple of years ago, our Search and Rescue organization tested a number of
GPS units, to find some that were cheap, easy to use and had some mapping
ability. We settled on the Magellan SportTrak Map. These were discounted
at $150.

They had minimum memory and a base map of the United States that includes
major highways. After we bought it, I found that Magellan sells a map of
the US. Unlike other mapping programs, the entire US fits on one CD rom.
The data is compact. With the minimum memory in the GPS, we could pick out
a portion of the state and download it to the GPS. It ended up being the
least expensive map available in the GPS, and was very easy to use.

At that time, an equivalent Garmin product was not available for the same
price. However, I have a Garmin and I like it.

Our organization had some non (Garmin and Magellan) GPS units and had
problems. Support was poor on that other brand.

If you buy a used unit, note that the newer units use 2 penlights rather
than the 4 required by older units. Once you enter the long and lat, you
can just point the car, but some GPS units are harder to use. Newer ones
are more user friendly.

I have a color unit and rarely use it. Black and white is fine in a
handheld.

For search work, I tried a laptop and external GPS unit and was
disappointed. The handheld works fine. I did not like any of the mounts
and made my own - having the GPS unit locked down on the dash makes it much
easier to use.

A GPS is wonderful.

Colin