Old April 14th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,alt.war.nuclear,alt.security.terrorism

Default Iranian Missiles And Torpedos

"Al Dykes" wrote in message
In article ,
Juergen Nieveler wrote:
"George" wrote:

This scenario breaks down rather rapidly because during combat
operations, the Navy would blow any boat out of the water that got
anywhere near close enough to launch a torpedo with a 10 km range.
And just because the weapon has a 10 km ranger doesn't mean that it
can hit the broad side of a barn. And even if Iran was successful in
gettin through our defenses and striking one of our ships, it wouold
be the worst mistake they could ever make, because all the stops would
be pulled out, and you'd find Iran in ruin from one end to the other.

Iran is a large, mountainous country - destroying it completely would
take a few hundred warheads AT LEAST. As for ground invasion - think
Afghanistan multiplied by 10...

Worse. Iran is twice the size and population of Iraq.

The iranians are *very* proud of Persion culture and patriotic to
Iran, as a country. Airpower, by itself, has never made a civilian
population turn against it's leaders.

The Iranian air defense hasn't been a victim of 10 years of embargo
and attack as the Iraq ADF was.

Iraq's auir defense wasn't under embargo until right before the first Gulf
war. ANd if you will note, only a handful of American planes were shot
down during that war.

Iran has had a front row seat to watch how American airpower has
attacked Iraq and probably knows lots about the capability of our
bunker busters, as used in Iraq.

The Iranians have been shown to be very agressive in the Iran-iraq
war.

But then, the Shiites and Sunnis hate each other more than they hate us.

Iran has been very docile about what we are doing in Afghanistan.
That could change and Iran could make lots of trouble for us.

Iran is already making a lot of trouble for us - in Iraq.

George