Old July 3rd 03, 04:45 AM
L'acrobat

"The CO" wrote in message

They seem keen on at least partially replacing them with UAVs

That would make sense for the surveillance role.
There could be huge savings over the present setup assuming the quality
of surveillance
can be matched by the UAVs.
That leaves the ASW/Maritime strike component. Smaller quantity of
replacements,
ie new Orions or Nimrod?
I'm aware of UAVs being fitted for air/ground strike (on a small scale)
but I don't recall
any attempt at an ASW UAV being made. Given the complexity of systems
like Global
Hawk I suppose it would be possible, but I'm less sure it would be an
economic proposition
compared to more conventional methods.

I believe the RAAF has an exchange officer in the US Multi Mission Maritime
Aircraft project (follow on to Orion)