Old February 18th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

Default VFR terminology in Class B

In article ,
"Matt" wrote:

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
Were you ever assigned any heading, altitude, or route?

Yes. He was giving me headings and altitudes to fly, as if I was getting
vectors to the localizer. But I was VFR. Not flying a practice approach.

If the guy says, "Fly heading 180, maintain 2000", and then sometime later
says, "descend at your discretion", that says to me you're still on an
assigned heading of 180 while you're descending.

If you suspect that doesn't make sense, you could ask, "Do you still need
me on 180?". Presumably that would elicit something like, "Heading and
altitude your discretion", which can be roughly translated as "Stop
bothering me and get yourself to the runway".