Old November 12th 16, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Genesis 2 Akaflieg polar

Chris,
I flew a Genesis-2 for 10 years and will share my impressions. First off, as delivered, the design has a serious low end problem. It won't climb in a two knot thermal!
This problem can be fixed by re-shaping the first 18" of the root airfoil (and up the fuselage side, also). With this mod and an aft CG of 95% of allowable range, she won't out-climb anybody, but will stay with most. The high end is good and the faster you go, the better it gets! A national champion told me he couldn't stay with me at 90 knots in his LS-8 ( both wet @ 10#/sq foot). Handling is ok, but different than conventional birds. When rolling into a thermal, she won't pull in with normal back pressure. I finally figured out it needed more back pressure to make it enter a thermal, then get off the extra elevator input. Landing in a cross-wind presents a real problem. When your forward speed = the cross wind speed, she's going to turn into the wind and the pilot becomes a passenger! This happens near the end of the runway with enough energy to clear the runway, but when she turns into the wind, your only option is to get on the brake, but you end up on the runway! After several years of this, I managed my energy so that I rolled into the desired stopping area with 10 knots of extra speed, then jumped on the good hydraulic brake to stop where I wanted to (off the runway)
Hope this helps,
JJ