Old July 1st 04, 12:33 AM
Air Force Jayhawk

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:38:25 +0000 (UTC), (Bob M.)
wrote:

I recently visited the Udvar-Hazy facility and received the usual
story about how the Corsair got its inverted gull wings, i.e. to
accomodate the 13 ft. prop which, in turn, was necesitated by the
engines power. However, the Hellcat used essentially the same engine,
and IIRC also used a 13 ft. prop. Yet it did not need those wings.
In fact it was mid winged, not low winged. So what is the true story?
Were the gull wings just one solution. How did the Hellcat
accomodate the prop? Longer landing gear? Or am I wrong? Was the
Hellcat prop 13 ft.?

First off, the F6F was a low wing aircraft...

Roscoe