Old August 30th 04, 09:11 PM
John Carrier

SNIP

About 60% of my 4800 hours were in twin-engine aircraft. Had 7 engine
failures that required SE landings (No CV, but maybe somebody was telling
me
the same thing). The remainder, F-8's and A-4's, not a hiccup from the
motor.

R / John

John,

Is it your contention from these statements that single engine fighters
are
already more reliable than twins?

--Woody

No, merely that greater "twin-engine" reliability is a fiction, amply
supported by both statistical and anecdotal (aka "inconvenient") evidence.
Incidentally, the F-8 and the A-4 were a hell of a lot more fun to fly than
the F-4 and F-14. I also readily admit that the F-4 was a better fighter
than the F-8 (although many F-4 drivers never demonstrated that fact) and
the F-14 was a better fighter than the F-4.

R / John