Old March 25th 04, 06:13 AM
Mark James Boyd

Dan Rihn wrote:
Anybody have any tips on using the Volkslogger?

I don't put any waypoints or declarations in it at all.
Once, I had one declaration in it, but declared a different
task on paper and had it signed. When I plugged
the VL in, it "auto-declared" the other task, and since this
"electronic declaration" was more recent than my
paper one, and could not be removed or modified from the .igc file,
my trace didn't show me finishing the task...
(thank goodness it was a 50k and not 300k!)

I just use it as a purely passive logger now. I plug it in,
ensure it is exposed to the sky (satellites), make sure
it was cleared before the flight, and then ignore it until
it's time to download.

For navigation I use a Garmin handheld. Since the VL and
the Garmin match within feet, I just round the Garmin turnpoints
and the VL so far has always shown the same trace...
--

Mark Boyd