Old January 7th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.military

Default TACAN

Ray wrote:

M. J. Powell wrote:
Is TACAN still in use? I worked on it briefly in 1956 when I was in the
RAF.

I remember from a recent history or discovery channel program that
air-to-air tacan is still used for aerial refueling operations.

Here's a page about it from Rockwell:
http://www.rockwellcollins.com/ecat/gs/TCN-550_Tacan.html

When I was stationed in Thailand, I also heard about A-A mode
being used in a two-ship formation when a major system (attack
radar or INS) failed. The aircraft with working systems would
lead, and the aircraft with the failed system would follow the
leader. As I understand it, buddy bombing was possible, but may
not have been all that accurate.