View Single Post
Old July 6th 18, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

On Friday, July 6, 2018 at 3:41:09 AM UTC-4, waremark wrote:
What Wyll and 6pk describe is what the OP wants EXCEPT he also wants to be able to make the switch manually so that when circling he can check the overview situation, then go back into circling mode.

My solution is to run 2 devices, one map zoomed in, the other showing an overview!

That's what I had for many years: GNII running on a Compaq 1500 with whatever overhead view I was using to navigate (e.g., 5-20 miles) plus a Garmin handheld on the side of the cockpit permanently zoomed in so I could watch my track in a thermal from overhead--and explore under a cloud or nearby knowing I could follow the breadcrumbs back to the center. Despite the fact that the Garmin didn't have any indication of lift strength, more than once I made it home in the evening because I was able to sample other wisps or areas looking for better lift and then return to the weak but steady thermal I'd found earlier with ease, all without having to change or touch anything..

Such is progress. I'm almost ready to bolt the Garmin back into the cockpit.. I'm frustrated that I can't get those two views without multiple presses of a touchscreen button (overriding the zoom when I let the Top Hat pages switch automatically) OR manually switching from cruise to climb (and back again) every time I stop to thermal. The sensors and algorithms are all there to sense when I'm circling and change the zoom level and infoboxes displayed. But I fear the logic to do what I want is not.

Chip Bearden