Old January 13th 04, 06:26 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
RU ok wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 04:24:10 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

The pyrotechnics may present a safety hazard (rember flares? they caused
more hangar fires than lives saved -- I even know of two lives LOST
because the flare hung up on a wing strut.)

Please state the details of the lives lost.

I didn't blame parachutes for lives lost. The incicent involved two
pilots at the University of Illinois about 1958 or '59, where they fired
a parachute flare out the window of a Cessna 140, practicing night
emergencies. The flare hung up on the wing strut. They crashed and were
killed.

A rep of the BRS company, Jeff Peltier, is currently online
with the RV List hyping the use of ballistic parachutes.
If I understood correctly, he claims that lives have NOT
been lost in the use of ballistic chutes.

Here's Jeff's entry into the RV List....

"Hello RV owners,
Due to the very high interest exhibited by Vans owners
over the years, we've currently entered into the design
phase regarding the installation of BRS ballistic emergency
parachute systems to Vans RV-6,-7 and -9. We have
purchased a new fuselage for the purpose of static structural
pull tests, and may be interested in acquiring other fuselages
or parts for the various tests required of this effort. We are
also open to any questions or comments that you may have
regarding parachute installation on Vans aircraft. Any input
will be appreciated. We would really like to hear from you."

Here's Mr. Peltier's statement concerning NO DEATHS...

Message: #117851
Date: Dec 26, 2003
Subject: Chutes for RVs

"In business for 22 years, over 17,000 units delivered. Nearly 1%
of all units delivered have been used in real, life-saving events!
In comparison, airbags in cars have saved (?) 1 person for every
50,000 units. These government mandated safety devices have
killed at least 80 children under the age of 12. Ballistic parachutes
have never actually KILLED anyone, that we are aware of.

I actually witnessed one of the saves -- it was at the Salinas (CA)
airshow, where an ultralight was demonstrating steep maneuvers. The
outboard wing structure broke and the pilot deployed the chute, lowering
all to the ground.

Jeff Peltier
Design Engineer
BRS INC.
(651)457-7491

You might want to search/visit the forum at.....
http://www.matronics.com/search

Barnyard BOb --

Mr. Peltier makes no mention of payload penalties or deployment
airspeeds beyond which either the parachute will shred or tear itself
away from the structure.

I still see no justification for a BRS on a regular airplane. It is far
easier, cheaper and lighter to beef up critical parts of the structure
than to install a BRS, with its pyrotechnic maintenance requirements
thrown in.