Old March 10th 07, 10:07 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
chris[_1_]

Default Tweaking the throttle on approach

On Mar 11, 9:44 am, Mxsmanic wrote:

If you're flying the traffic pattern, your ground track should be a
perfect rectangle with rounded corners, and in your Baron, your turn
from base to final should be completed about 3/4 mile out from the
threshold leaving you plenty of time to get stabilized on final. If
you turn substantially inside this point, you will have too little
time to stabilize your approach, and you should go around.

In real life, I would. In the sim, it depends on what I'm trying to practice.
The sim gives you the luxury of short-circuiting anything that isn't directly
relevant to whatever exercise you've undertaken.

In real life, sometimes you get asked to do a 'short approach'. This
would be probably the closest to what you're doing in the sim, so if
you are looking to real life for validation of what you do in the sim,
then there you go..

I have done some wacky, crazy approaches when asked to do a short
approach, usually with healthy doses of sideslip..

You can't feel a crosswind in a real plane either. It's the same as
in the sim, you just look forward out the window and check to see if
the ground is drifting by sideways, then correct for it by turning
slightly into the wind, so that you end up tracking exactly along the
runway's extended centerline.

So much the better, then. I thought it was something you would feel in a real
aircraft. I suppose if it's steady you wouldn't notice it.

You don't feel it because the air and the ground are not connected..
You have to look at the drift and correct for it. Quite easy to do
in practise, easier than trying to explain it :-)